Thursday, July 15, 2010

If not for the kindness of strangers...

Red Lines: Delayed

Oh, Metro Delays. While riding to work today we were being held at each station for 5 minutes as we got closer to the city so I decided to walk to work from Farragut North (which should have been simple). We walk out of the Metro and there is a guy playing, easily, the most beautiful (yes, beautiful) version of "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon. Different harmonies and melodies than the band uses and if I had any cash at all on me I would have given him some. It was great. Then... I got lost. I walked all over the city, back and forth, up and down... finally deciding to ask a GWU student for help. He pointed me in the right direction and then at one point... I turned the wrong way. I realized it quickly and as I am turning around I see him running towards me trying to put me on the right path again. How sweet. You don't find that often here but this kid was looking out for me. It felt nice. I made it to work, 1 hour late, but smiling because someone was nice enough to help me out.



Some other fun characters I have met on my travels:

1) The guy on the Metro Wednesday Afternoon. The train was packed. I had just gotten off another destination Grosvenor train because there was no AC and boarded another. A seat opened up after 2 stops next to a friendly looking guy. Really, he looked like Noer :). After a minute I felt some water hit me, not sure where it was coming from since I was on a train, I begin to look around. The guy next to me gives me a nod and points up to the ceiling, where the water is slowly dripping from, and then gestures towards the laminated folder keeping his leg dry. We both chuckled over how silly it was to have rain falling on you while on a train and before I got off, we exchanged smiles. We had a great conversation without any words at all.

2) The guy at the bar at Pub Trivia. You may have been more interested in the ball game and that's why you moved closer to our group, Ill pretend its because you wanted to know how on earth we were having so much fun without any beer on the table. Come next week. I'll bring you a Book of Mormon.

No comments:

Post a Comment