Saturday, May 8, 2010

First Weekend in Maryland











"Ive arrived"








That is the message I sent to a few dear friends letting them know I had gotten to my apartment. By the time I arrived it was late but I got there without getting lost thanks to my dear TomTom. I met with my roomate, Becky, and she helped me unpack my car and gave me a little tour. So far, so good.
This morning Megan and I planned to meet up and find our offices. Hers being the Museum of Natural History and mine being The Barlow Center. It started off with me getting on the wrong metro and having to backtrack a bit. It was a long ride in and the train was packed, there was a baseball game today and track maintence... oh well.

I finally arrived at Metro Center to find a confused Megan (she thought Metro Center = Union Station) but we got back to our plan and headed off to find her museum. She has a nice stop and a short walk to her museum. Next stop was my office! I had gotten a tip from my bishop "Foggy Bottom... Turn Left" I should have listened. I turned left but then began to complicate things, we were crossing streets, getting distracted by Trader Joe's, and simply getting a little lost. I found a postal worker and asked her and she gave me directions. We were SO CLOSE without knowing it so I replied "Really?!" and she said "NO! You did not just say Really?!"
Lesson 1: When asking for directions, a simple reply of "Thank You" will suffice.

We found my office. Its the cutest thing on the outside. Its a small building with a church sign outside of it and near some nice little places I can go for lunch nearby. Im excited. Scared. Nervous.

I dont think I have ever had so many emotions at one time.

Megan and I went back to Foggy Bottom and caught our metros home. This time, I went the right way. I called Webster on my walk back to my apartment and we caught up on life. Its seriously great (and a blessing a lot of the time) to have a friend who is willing to spend 40 min listening to me list of my worries and then telling me to knock it off because I really have nothing to worry about and the concerns I do have are valid but "you're a new yorker, you're gina, you can do this".
Its now 126am sunday morning... Ive been sleeping all afternoon so I think ill unpack now.

No comments:

Post a Comment